100X Automated Filter Tester FAQs
1. What is the 100X Automated Filter Tester and what is it used for?
The 100X Automated Filter Tester is used to test and validate filter media, cartridges, and masks used in medical and industrial hygiene applications. The 100X is designed to meet the precise and rigorous requirements needed by production, quality control, and R&D environments.
2. What tests can I perform with the 100X? Can the results be exported?
The 100X measures and records the efficiency and pressure drop (resistance) of the media or mask tested. The test results can be exported via the serial port, using either a USB or RS232 cable.
3. What standards does the 100X meet? Will additional standards be added?
The 100X currently meets several global industry standards including:
• GB 2626: Chinese standard, respiratory protective equipment, non-powered air-purifying particle respirator
• GB 19083: Chinese standard, technical requirements for protective face mask for medical use
• GB/T 32610: Chinese standard, technical specification of daily protective mask
• YY 0469: Chinese standard, surgical masks
• NIOSH 42 CFR Part 84: USA standard, respiratory protective devices
• EN 13274-7:2019 (Paraffin Oil): European standard, respiratory protective devices methods of test.
• ISO 23328: International standard, breathing system filters for anesthetic and respiratory use
• JICOSH/JMOL: Japanese standard, dust masks
New standards will be added with future releases of the 100X. Visit the 100X product page for a current list of standards (www.atitest.com/products/100x-automated-filter-tester/)
4. What are the key benefits?
The 100X delivers best-in-class performance at a low cost of ownership. A few of the key benefits include:
• Three flow rate options up to 170 L/min
• Oil or salt aerosol challenge for KN95/N95/FFP masks or P100 filter testing
• Best-in-class resistance and penetration testing accuracy
• 100% sampling aerosol detection system
• Automatic aerosol replenishment system for minimum production downtime
• Automatic, Hybrid & Manual configurations
• Quiet – ideal for QC/R&D laboratories or production environments
5. What does 100% aerosol sampling mean?
The 100X incorporates a light scattering photometer that is placed in the path of the aerosol ensuring that 100% of the aerosol is tested. Measurement is accomplished by passing the entire sample through the optical detection window of the sampling chamber and measuring the resulting scattered light intensity. The scattered light intensity is directly proportional to the mass of the suspended particulate within the sample. There is only one photometer to maintain which minimizes maintenance. Other conventional filter efficiency testers take a sample of the aerosol during testing instead of capturing 100% of the aerosol which may lead to inaccurate results.
6. What is the highest flow rate available on the 100X? What other flow rates are available?
The 100X is available in three flow rates, 10-40 L/min, 10-120 L/min, or 10-170 L/min (oil unit only). The flow rate accuracy is determined by the flow rate that the user defines and the max flow rate that is possible. So, if the user needs only half the flow rate the accuracy will still be based on the max. The different flow rates are used to minimize testing inaccuracies.
7. What is the benefit of the auto aerosol replenishment system?
The 100X is the only automated filter tester that has a patented auto aerosol replenishment system. This feature is ideal for automation lines allowing the 100X to run continuously without needing to stop for the user to replenish the aerosol.
8. How are the Manual, Hybrid & Automatic Configurations used?
The Manual version is ideal for lab use or production lot testing that requires the operator to initiate the test. The Automatic version integrates seamlessly with a customer designed, PLC-driven, automated production line and is ideal for 100% in-line non-destructive product testing. The Hybrid version provides the versatility to operate in Manual mode using the local test fixture or can be switched to Automatic mode using a remote fixture in an automated production environment.
9. Can I use the 100X if I don’t have access to exhaust ducting?
The 100X can be supplied with an optional local exhaust module to filter all aerosol exhaust when facility exhaust ducting is not available. The local exhaust module is designed with a convenient differential pressure gauge to help determine when to replace the internal HEPA filter.
10. How long does it take to run a test?
In Manual mode, a test takes just 10-15 seconds to complete. In Automatic mode, tests generally take longer to perform based upon how far the test fixture is located from the 100X unit and the number of filters being tested at one time.
11. What if my filter doesn’t fit ATI’s test fixture? Can ATI help design a custom test fixture?
Yes, ATI offers custom test fixtures to accommodate unique filter designs. We have extensive experience in working with customers to meet their test fixture needs.
12. Can the 100X test liquid membranes or gas filters? Can the 100X test low efficiency filters?
No, the 100X is designed and used to test high-efficiency HEPA/ULPA grade air filters, flat sheet media, and masks. The 100X can test filters of all efficiency but HEPA/ULPA grade is the typical application.